Friday, September 5, 2008

The three men who influenced me

Looking back the last three decades, I could see the unseen hand of God moulding my life for his purpose. He used three men in different periods to shape me to become the kind of person that God wants me to be. I am grateful to them and thankful to God.

Dr. David G, a protestant, was my first ‘boss’ in church. He was the first church leader I worked closely when I came back from UK. He had helped to shape my spirituality and mission consciousness. He demonstrated quiet and gentle leadership, no less impactful in Christian ministry than charismatic and forceful leadership. One does not need to be platform leadership and yet can be greatly used by God. His love for mission is infectious. He loves mission because he loves the God of mission. He taught me consistency and resilience. He was a skillful dentist.

Chong Nik Seow, a Catholic, was my boss in engineering department when I started my first job. He showed me how as an uncorrupted government servant, one could be a blessing to contractors. He taught me thoroughness and meticulousness in engineering work without which it could have serious consequences. He did his work well and set high standard. He was a skillful engineer.

Dr. Chuck Lowe, my lecturer in SBC and now a good friend. He taught me exegesis. He is a first rate theologian. He is skillful as an exegete of God’s word. After having served God in Singapore for 16 years, he moved back to USA and settled down in Boston and worked as a pastor in a Chinese Church. Travelling 23 hours in the plane was tiring but the confined space and enforced time gave me the opportunity to reminisce 30 years of my life to Sarah. I outlined the three periods and the influence of these three great men in my life as the plane sped on at 960km/hr. Having landed and collected our luggage at the baggage conveyor belt, I saw a man from a distant walking toward me, instantly I recognized him. Balding, putting on weigh, Chuck looks more like a business man than a pastor-theologian. The last time when we gave him the farewell was 8 years ago. This is the man who imparted the skill of exegesis. He reinforced further what Chong Nik Seow had done the significance of thoroughness and meticulousness. This is amply seen in my research. We had great time talking. We talked about church works, we discussed theology, and we ate Tuscanini ice cream which is better than Haagen Dazs ice cream. We walked for more than one hour just to look for the Tuscanini ice cream (because I told him that Haazgen Das is the best ice cream). New York Time declared that Tuscanini is the best ice cream in the world.

All these three men share common traits: hardworking, good workers, thoroughness, skillful in their trades, great love for God, uncorrupted, men of integrity, faithful men, and willingness to impart skills…

I am indebted to these three men.

2 comments:

sp lim said...

Pastor Wong. Welcome back to blogsphere. Looking forward to more of your posts from NY. You will missed 916 but I'm sure you will be praying for our nation. Ask our American brethren to pray too.

I've just finished reading 'Territorial Spirits and World Evangelization?' by Chuck Lowe a few weeks ago. Your name was mentioned in the Acknowledgments. Although only 151 pages I know very thorough research has been done after reading it and its bibliography. Agree with you he is a first rate theologian.

Wong Fong Yang said...

Hi SP,
Thanks for encouraging me to write my blog.I have a lot to say about the training sessions here in NY. NY is a facinating place. Its like the crowd in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost. It has the atmosphere that the whole world is in NY.

NY had 911. Malaysia may have 916. Will pray for our nation.